Digging the Money Pit

Work on the Money Pit has progressed in earnest this week. I love it! ...and....I hate it!


I love it because it's progress. Moving forward is always good.



I hate it because I am conducting household business without a mudroom and with this.....
...right outside my kitchen door. Can we say DIRT? Blowing in the windows and doorway, coming in on the bottom of shoes and boots. Speaking of shoes and boots....




Without a mudroom/entry way there is nowhere for those dirty critters to go except piled in my kitchen. This photo actually shows them in a somewhat orderly presentation. Normally they are sprawled everywhere for maximum trip-over and dirt-spreading capacity.



For the first time in thirty years and three home remodels we hired some guys to do part of the work- the foundation forms and cement work. After the day of constructing the forms I heard one of the guys declare I can't believe how dirty I got doing this! I feel like Pig Pen.  I feel your pain, dude.



These two are in hog heaven with all the tool trailers, cement mixers and masculine grunt work going on here.


Who can concentrate on schoolwork when there is manwork to be done?
If I play it right the noisy outdoor activity can be a motivating factor. You want to get your tool belt on and help? Get that math lesson finished!



But there are certainly good life lessons to learn in hearty physical labor like building and construction.




The big boys got to learn lots of building skills with their dad when the first Oregon house project was done as well as the barn and farm building that has taken place over the years. Now is the time for these boys to get their experience.
And will have plenty of opportunity for that here in the next few weeks.