The River is Wild

My camera has been recovered.

It was at Ikea and I need to humbly eat my words that I would never see it again if it was left there. That place is such a well-oiled machine. Despite the hundreds of people shopping, the scores of employees working and the miles upon miles of furniture covered acreage, my little ol' camera was located, documented and waiting for pickup when I called inquiring. I am very impressed by the efficiency of Ikea and thankful for the camera's return. I need to implement their recovery methods for lost items in my house.

It will be several days before I can retrieve it from the city so in the meantime I used my daughter's camera to record the events around here today.

We are experiencing some very un-January like weather with temperatures pushing 60 degrees. Of course all of our snow has melted as well as massive amounts of snow high on the mountain. Downpours of heavy rain for days have contributed to gushing water rushing towards the Columbia River from every elevation.


Our little fork of the Hood River looked like this two weeks ago.



Today it was a churning cauldron of murky water.

As we stood on the bridge looking down at the rushing water we could hear the rocks and boulders beneath the surface hitting each other like bowling balls. Our house is less then half a mile from the river and we can easily hear its rumbling roar as a background soundtrack to our days and nights.



Two weeks ago this water inlet didn't exist.





The river left its banks last night and washed over our road.




Since today was a federal holiday, there were no road crews about. The water was coming out of an area where there is a log house hidden in the woods. A few years back, after the last flooding, the homeowner had the house raised up on stilts.




It's a good thing. This was the driveway to the house. It is the new river inlet.

Many rivers in Oregon are currently in this same state of overflow. There is more rain to come in the next few days.