A Meemaw in our Midst

My mom arrived for a visit on Wednesday night. Her flight was over two hours late and the airport is over two hours away from my home, so suffice it to say - it was a long day.  I was already headed in the direction of the airport when I received a text from Southwest to let me know of the delay. Rather than head back home, I decided to hang out at my friend Kathy's house. She lives fairly close to the airport. She was at work, but good news - she leaves her door unlocked. I did give her the courtesy of calling her at work and letting her know I'd be at her house (I'm polite that way). I watched Judge Judy and let Kathy's dogs in and out about 80 times (just like being at home!). When she got home, we went to Applebee's for dinner. The server was a newbie, so that made the meal interesting.  Kathy ordered a vodka gimlet and the server looked over at the bar and said, "Ooooh, I'll just have to check and see if we have that."  A vodka gimlet, in case you aren't in the know, is basically just vodka with a lime waved over the glass.

"I'm confident the bartender can handle it," Kathy told her helpfully. I'm sure we'll manage to turn this into a running joke now (bars that have no vodka, oceans that have no water, air that has no oxygen, etc.)

Anyway, I made it to the airport about twenty minutes before my mom's flight arrived. I finally got to bed at around 11:00, which would be fine except that I had to be up at 5 for work. Oy.

Despite the rocky start, we had a very nice visit. She stayed with us for six days.  We also took a little trip out of town and stayed in a hotel. A was over the moon to hang out with her Meemaw. She and Meemaw played games (although my mom did have a hard time keeping up with the rules that seemed to change very rapidly and which seemed to be geared towards helping the shorter player win), read books, and talked about how staying up late is awesome.

My mom flew back home today. There's no time to relax, however, because we must now launch into the official birthday festivities. My daughter's birthday is on May 3rd and she's been talking about her seventh birthday since May 4th of last year, so it always seems sort of miraculous when the day actually arrives. Remind me to tell you about the rude bakery lady (who do you have to sleep with to get a Hello Kitty cake, for cripes sake?)