Midlife parenting.

When I was a young girl, I always pictured myself as being married and having kids at a very young age - like in my 20's.  I never fathomed I would first become a mom just two months shy of my 40th birthday.  And I have to admit, when we first started thinking about adopting, I told my husband that I wanted to be a mom before I turned 40.  If I reached that age childless, well then, it was meant to be that I would never have children. 

As a midlife parent, I think I have better tools and skills than when I was in my 20's.  I had the time to enjoy my career and marriage before kids.  I travelled and pretty much did whatever I wanted.  And I am much more mellow.  So I have no regrets, and am not missing much of anything.

But sometimes I worry if I will see Kerri graduate college, get married, and have children of her own.  As the birthdays approach, I wonder if I will still be able to take care of her (and not the other way around) when she is a young adult.  I never thought or worried about mortality and/or health in my 20's - because back then I had all the time in the world! 

Regardless, Kerri keeps me young.  She keeps me on my toes and reminds me what it was like to be a kid all over again.  I get to enjoy parenting, without stress, and totally prepared (well, as much as one can be) for motherhood.  You see, I got to practice on all my nieces and nephews first, study child psychology, and read countless parenting books - way before motherhood.  Kerri was not only planned, I waited over twenty years for her!  And so far, I have enjoyed every second, minute, and hour she has been a part of our family.  Especially when she says I am old. :o)   

Life with Kerri is grateful for every precious moment.