Not taking anything for granted.

I have always taught Kerri about doing good deeds for others. Charity is something we truly believe in, and I teach our daughter to do this unselfishly, for no personal gain, and anonymously when possible.

So imagine my delight and surprise when Kerri's school reinforced our values. They tackle community and global projects, in addition to the normal school fund raisers. For example, in December the school had a food collection (every grade had a predetermined type of food to donate). The food was then distributed to needy families for the holidays. They did this for Thanksgiving too. And this month, Kerri is collecting loose change for the O.K.Clean Water project - an organization that is building pipelines bringing water to villages in Kumbo, (Cameroon) Africa.

I love that Kerri is not only learning about different cultures and countries, but is also learning that she can make a difference, no matter how small. And just maybe, learning not to take things - like clean water - for granted.

It's a reminder to me that we have it so easy and so good. And that it could change in a heartbeat. So this Shabbat I am thankful for all the blessings in our lives - and that my daughter is not learning this the hard way.

Life with Kerri is blessed beyond measure.