I've had better weeks

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. I do hate to disappoint my reader ("hi, Mom!") My kid has been sick all week. Some kind of plague hit the first grade and they've been dropping like flies (almost literally - one of A's BFFs fainted the other day). Her temperature has been up and down all week. I decided to go to yoga on Tuesday night and leave her in the mostly capable hands of her father for a couple hours. When I got home she was sleeping on the couch but I felt like I should wake her up and take her temperature (it had spiked to 103.2 earlier in the day). She scared me a little because I could not seem to rouse her. I kept saying, "Sweetie, I just need you to put this under your tongue." Finally, she opened her eyes halfway, grabbed my forearm tightly, started to cry and said, "Mom, I need . . . FRIENDS!" She was just completely incoherent and sweaty and weird. She still has a cold but seems to be on the mend now. Getting medicine down her gullet has been an ordeal, too. I suggested to her that if the grape flavored acetaminophen was THAT bad, she could just hold her nose and swallow the medicine very fast. She looked at me like I'd proposed she drink her own urine. "Hold my nose? Mom! I have to BREATHE, you know!"

My other focus right now is launching a new website for the rescue. Bringing over the content from the old site involves a lot of copying and pasting and downloading and uploading. It's exactly as fun as it sounds. A new volunteer offered to help move 700+ photos and I was so giddy about it that I'm pretty sure I spontaneously proposed to her. The new site is going to kick ass when it's done, though. I can't wait to launch it.

Other not-so-great news: my four-month-old nephew has not pooped in over a week (I just left my sister a voicemail to check on the poop status - I'm obsessed with the boy's output now). Also, Gideon broke out of his crate this morning and ate my entire bag of crackers from Trader Joe's. It's worth noting that I have to drive at least two hours to get to a Trader Joe's. I'm taking the cost of the crackers out of his allowance.

The only good thing to happen this week is that I bought this:

What the hell is that, you ask? It's a "fire bowl."  (Duh!) Essentially it's a bowl full of Himalayan salt rocks. You shove a wee light bulb into each one and they all glow. Right now I have it sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace. I've been a little worried about the dogs licking the rocks, but so far, so good. The rocks emit healthy negative ions. I have no idea what negative ions are or why they are beneficial to me, but I felt I needed this bowl of rocks. They are sold at my yoga studio and since I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my yoga pants, I had to buy one.

We're headed out of town for a couple of days. My birthday is on Tuesday but I'm forcing my family to celebrate it for several days in a row. I probably shouldn't post on my blog that I'm going out of town. You'll probably come over, break in, and lick my Himalayan rocks. Because you've been so worried that your ions are out of whack.