My Kitchen the Boulangerie

Whenever my daughter comes to visit everyone anticipates indulging in her hand-made crusty sourdough bread. She gets enlisted for the task of crafting it very soon after arrival.



Making artisan sourdough bread is a skill she has honed and perfected at home. She has read about and researched the science and techniques of it on her own and taught herself through the trial and error of baking countless loaves.


She makes a number of varieties of bread with the sourdough and uses it for pizza crusts and cinnamon rolls. Her brother's (and other's) favorite version is the jalepeno and pepper jack cheese loaf.


A couple years ago she conducted a sourdough bread making class here in my kitchen for me and my friends. I blogged about it here if you are interested in seeing the step by step process.

Though I learned to make it, I have not honed my skills because with all the practice it would require, I'd weigh about 400 pounds by now from eating the test loaves.

So every time Katie bakes these breadful beauties we find ourselves taking pictures of the process and the products.




Katie impresses me every time with her understanding of the science of the bread making process. You would think she learned her skill at a boulangerie in Paris instead of her own humble kitchen in Michigan. My sourdough starter had been neglected and her method of revival was to add water to the starter that had been used to soak organic raisins. This water had captured the natural yeasts found on the raisins and rejuvenated the dough sponge. Whoda thunk it?




Katie has been here only about ten days and has already baked twelve loaves of this bread. I ate about eleven of them. Not really. Only nine.

Yesterday she made a whole wheat variety and added flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds to the loaves.


I've decided my daughter is a keeper.
She's staying. I mean it.