"candy bars"



About once a week, Tanner begs me to make "candy bars". That's what we've always called protein/nutrition bars around these parts.

I used to buy Cliff Z bars, for the kids. I know they're not the healthiest of things, but it's nice when we're on the go, or if I'm being really lazy.

So when I saw this recipe on The Little Red House blog, I knew I had to try it.

Here's the recipe (straight from her blog):



The Good Cookie


3/4c peanut butter
1/4c agave nectar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 can chickpeas, pureed in food processor
1 1/4 c rolled oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/4c ground flax seed
1/8c wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2oz good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped

In a seperate bowl combine oats, flour, flax, wheat germ, baking powder and salt.

Combine pb, agave, and egg in mixer, and beat until well combined--about a minute.
Add vanilla.
Stir in chickpea puree until well mixed.
Slowly stir in dry mixture until well combined. Mixture will be thick.

Shape into a rectangle on a lined cookie sheet, about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle chocolate over the top.

Bake at 350° in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cookie is set.

Spread out chocolate, allow to cool for about 10 minutes, and cut into bars. Let them cool completely before you eat them. Store in refrigerator to keep the chocolate nice and crisp.


*I add chia seed to mine. It kind of gives the apperance of chocolate chips in the batter. = ) And they're super healthy.
**Oh, and I ran out of chickpeas/garbanzo beans a couple of times and replaced them with cannelloni beans. Worked great. I actually like it better. HOWEVER, I ran out of both kinds of beans once and tried pinto beans. Wow. Tasted an awful lot like refried beans. I love refried beans, but not in a "candy bar". Don't try it at home.
***Also, we don't wait for them to cool before eating. Tanner likes them best warm.

They trick Shad every time he comes home and sees them on the counter. He grabs one (thinking they're yummy cookie bars), takes a bite, sort of gags, looks at the kids and says, "wow, these are great!"

Tanner loves them. And Kate likes them. So I say it's a winner.