What are you doing New Year's Eve?

Normally, we are stay at home fuddy-duddies. While it always seems the rest of the world is ushering the old year out with a party, dancing, a champagne toast and a kiss at midnight, we are usually home with kids, maybe eating some fondue, playing cards, banging some pots and pans and going to bed at 12:01 (that would be 10:01 for Mr. D).

THIS year, still working on my fiftieth year, I really didn't want a replay of the last twenty years. Let's splurge and do something different!

So Mr. D. and I are heading out to a little party at an historic, antique-filled hotel to eat really nice food, play some trivia games with the other guests and do that champagne toast at midnight. (I'll need to spike Mr. D's dinner beverage with some Red Bull so he'll make it to 12:01). I'll be treated to a nice breakfast in the morning that I won't have to make myself or clean up afterward. Should be a grand way to start a new year!

But it's been hell to pay trying to get out of Dodge. There is a good reason we don't pack a bag on a whim and take off on short notice. That simply is not in the realm of possibility. It has taken two days of arrangements to ensure that the world will keep turning while we are gone for 18 hours. Now we have earned our little excursion.

What are you doing to ring out the old year and ring in the new?

I would like to say a hearty Happy New Year to all of you, my friends and family who occasionally or regularly visit me here in this little bit of cyberspace .  May your new year be blessed with contentment, prosperity and good health.