Apple Rolls


One of the pastry treats I've been making for the farm stand is apple cinnamon rolls. These are much, much easier to make then apple turnovers or pies. The customers looking for a sugar fix find them satisfying and I am satisfied to produce two dozen pastries in a few short hours instead of a few long days.

To change a simple cinnamon roll into a sweet apple treat, I simply make an apple filling with the farm stand apples and roll it into a basic cinnamon roll dough. This same idea could be used with any kinds of fillings, sweet or savory. How about orange marmalade or pesto and cheese!!

I start by having the boys peel and slice me a few extra apples.

Then I chop the apple slices into bits and spread them in an ungreased dish.


I mix up some sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg, just as I would for an apple pie. As a rule of thumb, the ratio is about 1:5 for flour to sugar. I rarely measure because I didn't measure the apples and it's not rocket science and well, because I'm lazy. Who wants to wash all those extra measuring cups anyway?

I also make the apple turnover filling this same way. For rolls I may use lots more cinnamon and no nutmeg. A baker could do anything she or he wants, really. How about some apple brandy or pecans? Yum!!

After tossing the apples in the sugar mix I generously dot the apples with bits of butter. Butter makes the apple juices carmely and rich. I then cover the apples with a piece of parchment paper and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes until the apples are soft and the juices are bubbly.



After spreading soft butter all over the rolled out dough (yes, more butter!), I spread out the completely cooled apple filling and roll it up from the long side.




I cut the roll into generous sizes for the farm stand. If I was making these for my family (ha! which I rarely do. Christmas maybe.) I would make them much smaller. Frugality is necessary for survival in a family of nine.


These rolls are delicious with or without icing. I prefer none but I do ice them for the farm stand customers.

Tell me about your rolled pastry variations. I'm always open to new ideas.