A Few Things

Random. No particular order. Things rattling around my brain....


This week I served on a jury for a trial. After two and a half months being on call for jury service, phoning every weekend to see if my number was up, I got summoned to the courthouse. I was chosen for the jury and made the foreman. I can now cross this activity off my Bucket List. If I had a Bucket List. If I did, I would have had serve on a jury for a trial as one of the items to do before I die. Why? you ask. I have just always wanted to witness our justice system at work in a more participatory way and certainly serving on a jury facilitates that.

Jury duty was an interesting and educational experience. It also completely fried my brain for two days. Sorting out the facts and witness testimony and making a good decision at the end required every brain cell I could manufacture. I was amazed by how I went from one decision about guilt or innocence at the beginning of deliberations, to the opposite position by the end. I was impressed by the judge and his astute handling of the lawyers, the jury and the process of trial. I am still processing it but I am not convinced that a jury trial is always an entirely "fair" or "impartial" way to have a matter settled.

Let me just say that with the way information is manipulated for the consumption of a jury I have to wonder if it ends up being entirely fair. There were so many holes in the presentation of events, witnesses not heard from, questions unanswered, that making a fair decision was very difficult. I am satisfied with the decision we made with what we were given, but maybe if we had been given more it would have been different...Someone knew that and that is why the information was strictly controlled. Why is that?? Is that fair? I know there are good reasons for some of the holes but I'd like to know more about that. Anyone else have similar experiences with a jury trial? I'd love to hear about it...

Next.

It's spring. Officially. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are singing.

I should be over-joyed but I'm not completely. Yes, I get to leave my dark, warm hovel and emerge into the freshness and light. Except, after emergence, I discover the overwhelming burden of garden chores waiting for me with the aftermath of winter.


Pruning: roses, grape vines, fruit trees, blueberry shrubs.
Weeding and cleaning: strawberry bed, numerous flower beds, raised garden beds.
Raking, trimming, sweeping, burning, composting, mulching. The list is endless.


The Open Studio Tour is looming in the distance. A pre-show at a gallery for the month of April looms closer. I need to finish making pottery, glaze, and fire. I have ten days to finish this project before the gallery show hangs.

I can't even use my kiln studio before I give it a spring cleaning.

Barn swallows took up residence in there last summer. At first it didn't bother me until I found out that when they make themselves at home they proceed to rain their doo-doo all over the premises!

There are bird droppings everywhere in my glazing and firing studio.
Help.
I don't have enough to do. Let's think of more chores so I don't get bored.


My cake business is suddenly booming. Brides are calling and emailing. I have to answer them, help the women plan their cakes, make samples for them, write contracts and do some kind of book-keeping.

I have to make some changes in my kitchen and get the state inspector here.

It's Lent and will soon be Easter.

For the first time in my life I am seriously considering hiring someone to come in and do some housecleaning. That's radical.

I never thought I would ever say this, but....could we just have one more month of winter? Just a few more weeks. I'd like to stay in my hovel a bit longer.