Bringing my babies home............


I peered out the window this morning, and and as I eyed the big black limo slowly creeping down the street my mind reeled back to a time just two years ago. It was nearly 4:00am. Dh always had the same driver (he traveled the world extenstesivley before the girls-and yes he had a driver) so it was no surprise that Carlos would arrive on time even considering the early hour. Within minutes we would be crawling into the back seat of his warm sedan. Today (two years ago) at 6:05am we would board a plane for China . We were finally bringing our babies home.


I remember the day that changed my world. I can still see the image of that precious child running, skipping and giggling as if it were yesterday. I was having lunch with a friend when suddenly my eyes were gazing intently into the eyes of the most beautiful Chinese child I had ever seen. I was taken by her beauty. My eyes followed her every move. I couldn't get enough of her. She was adorable. Skipping. Singing. Twirling. I couldn't peel my eyes off of her. I realized I too was being scrutinized. As I casually looked up to see who was keeping a watchful eye on me I discovered it was her mother. She too was quite stunning AND she was my age! She smiled politely but before I could blast her with some of the naive questions I wanted to ask, she vanished. I couldn't shake the image of the child. My heart ached desperatly for a child. I went home and without discussing it with dh I started researching adoption. I spent all my free time on the internet and at the library. AND I went to an adoption seminar. All before breathing a word of it to him. I kept it to myself as I was not ready to admit my body had stopped working. I was ashamed. I didn't want to disappoint my dh. True to form for me I wanted to enter into this with my eyes wide open. I was( I say was because things changed...) very much a "black and white" kind of gal. Much to my chagrin I wear "gray" well.... What no one prepared me for was that I would find my heart in China.

As our driver dropped us off in front of the airport I remembe walking into the airport and sighing. This. was. what. we. had. waited. for. I stood there in the airport and a tear fell. This was real. We were bringing our babies home. In barely 48 hours 3 planes later and numerous first class lounges I would be holding my babies in my arms. I didn't know what to expect but what I did know I was going to be a mommy. At last. To be continued.......