Sticks and stones.

Kerri came home upset because an older boy called her a "Chinese little bum" at school.    The teachers could not do anything about it because it happened at recess, and Kerri could not identify the boy.  She only knew he was a sixth grader, but did not know his name and could not point him out (he apparently went inside).  I think there are only two Chinese girls in the entire school, so we are pretty sure it was directed at her.

I had to have a long talk with Kerri.  I taught her the old saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.".  She learned that no one has the power to make her feel bad unless she allows it.  And we reinforced just how beautiful her Chinese "looks" are.  And then Kerri said: "I don't want to be Chinese, I just want to be Canadian.".

Life with Kerri hurts sometimes.