Glorious Spring

.....has finally arrived here in the Great Northwest.


First in the lower valley near the Columbia River Gorge.



With the distinct differences in elevation between the lower valley and the upper valley (where I live), the arrival of spring begins and lasts for weeks and weeks as its effects slowly spread from one end of the valley to the other, climbing up the slopes toward the mountain, unrolling like a colorful carpet. I can see these beauties in town two weeks before they actually start to display themselves in my own gardens.


At home, in the shadow of Mt. Hood, we are just at the crocus stage, but the hyacinths, daffodils, magnolias and tulips will come, followed by dogwoods and pear blossoms.





This is the most glorious season in my part of the world. All the seasons have their unique beauty but spring has the most color and fragrance bursting out of winter's dull backdrop. I could say April is my favorite time of year but then I may have to change my mind in May when I see the rhododendrons and irises.

I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden. 
 ~Ruth Stout