My Weekend

Saturday was an interesting day for me. It started very early with a visit from our local fire department.

I locked myself in my bedroom and pulled the covers over my head while a group of firemen in full gear and boots stomped around in my house and tried to climb through a hole in the ceiling of my linen closet, right outside my bedroom door. My husband had been making a fire in the woodstove when suddenly the winter's build-up of chimney creosote caught fire. After having a mild heart attack and doing everything he could to stop the fire, Mr. D. called 911 just to be sure the fire was not going to start again and shorten his life span even more.

The nice firemen were happy to come out and not have to rescue me from anything serious.

After they left, my husband worked at restoring a normal heart rhythm while I loaded up my car with apples and butter and flour so that I could teach a couple of eager bakers how to give the world more good pie.

They were very good students. Over the afternoon they created some beautiful, tender, tasty pastries.

And...the plague is back. Or...the plague is still here. The constant coughing chorus, feverish deliriums and snot rags littering my home are getting really, really old. Ready to move on! Bring on some healing sunshine or something! Let's declare flu season officially over!