Scones.

I decided to try making some scones from scratch. They actually are quite yummy, even if I did not get the shape right. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups of all purpose flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cups cream (I actually made it half cream and half buttermilk mixture)
1 egg
grated orange zest (I used a large tangerine instead because I was out of oranges)
handful of Cranraisins (you can also use cranberries)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Directions:
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixer. Cut in butter and shortening. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and then add the cream mixture and combine. Then add to dry ingredients in the mixer gradually. Stir in fruit and zest. Turn dough onto floured surface, and roll or pat and then cut biscuit size rounds (I used a pizza cutter and made triangles instead, kinda sorta). Bake on ungreased cookie/baking sheet for 15 minutes or until brown. I did not add a glaze/egg wash, but you can if you want.

Mine took 16 minutes (I did not want them that brown). They are a bit crunchy on the outside like a cookie but soft and moist on the inside like a cake. Absolutely delicious with tea!

Life with Kerri is learning to bake.