The post I insist on writing every year, even though it is of interest to no one but me

I get pretty excited about this time of year. Not because of half-price Christmas candy or because the new year is upon us, so full of possibilities and magic, but because music critics publish their "best of" lists. I love to read the lists, compare the music to what I already have, and download new stuff I missed.  I can't say that 2011 was a remarkable year for music, but there were some notable tunes.

My daughter got into some new music, too. The only trouble with her is that kids love repetition (any parent alive will swear to you that there are only seven episodes of The Backyardigans because they have seen every episode a hundred thousand times). So, when my daughter gets stuck on a song . . . the child gets stuck. on. a. song. That's why she forced me to turn on this little ditty every day for six months:



So yeah, I hate that song now. Here are some 2011 albums I liked (in no particular order):
  1. The Decemberists: The King is Dead. Favorite tracks: "Down by the Water," "June Hymn," "This is Why We Fight"
  2. Cut Copy: Zonoscope. "Take Me Over" has been on heavy rotation on my iPod.
  3. Grouplove: Never Trust a Happy Song. I was dismayed to learn that "Tongue Tied" was featured in a commercial but I still dig it.
  4. Beth Ditto: Beth Ditto- EP. I love Gossip and Beth Ditto.
  5. Fountains of Wayne: Sky Full of Holes. On the Amazon version, they included a cover of "The Story in Your Eyes." I love it so and listen to it at least once a week.
  6. Tune-Yards: Whokill
  7. Washed Out: Within and Without. More mellow than my usual fare, but maybe I am getting old? Don't answer that.
  8. Peter Murphy: Ninth. The dude's still got it; I don't care what anyone says. 
  9. Muppets: The Green Album. Alkaline Trio singing "Movin' Right Along"?  Yes, please. 
A few 2011 songs I've been digging (I don't have the full album for any of these so I can't vouch for anything beyond the songs I bought):
  1. Givers: Up Up Up
  2. Say Hi: Devils
  3. The Black Keys: Lonely Boy. I know it's only a matter of time until I'm sick to death of this one, but it still has some traction for me at the moment.
  4. The Civil Wars: Barton Hollow
  5. The Joy Formidable: Whirring
  6. Fanfarlo: Deconstruction
  7. Peter Bjorn and John: Eyes
Thanks for humoring me. As you were, soldier.