Post Easter Update

Pie in the Sky reader, Bill, asked to see a photo of my Easter bread, so here it is-

I made a sweet yeast dough from a Paska (Ukranian or Polish Easter bread) recipe I found on the internet. I added orange zest to the dough for another element of flavor. I also added dried cranberries and golden raisins. This loaf was large, at least twelve inches across, so baking it was tricky. I failed to bake it long enough so it was somewhat doughy in the thickest parts. It didn't seem to bother too many eaters because the whole loaf was gone by the end of the day. I served it simply with honey butter. Pretty much everyone thought the eggs were curious and strange. No one wanted to eat them but that's fine- they are going into potato salad tomorrow.



All of Holy Week was sunny here on the northern border of Oregon. It was the first stretch of sunshine we have had in months! It was not terribly warm- barely reaching 59 degrees most days, but everyone was happy to have the dry sunshine.

One afternoon driving through town, I noted how it only takes a day or two of the golden rays to turn gray winter into colorful spring.



The "town" of which I speak sits on the Columbia River, which is the border between Washington and Oregon. From that point (the river) to where I live on the lower slopes of Mount Hood, the elevation rises about 1200 feet. That elevation difference means that spring arrives in town about two weeks before it arrives at my house.


We are now back to the pouring rain with no end in sight. But seeing the colors of spring gives me hope that there will be an end to the April showers.

Someday.