Ennui

And she’s making the scene
With the coffee and cream
And the copy machine’s not working
She’s a hell of a girl
She’s alone in the world
And she likes to say hey good lookin
She’s on her way
She’s taking a sick day . . . soon

And she’s taking her time

As she’s tossing a dime
At the man in the cardboard coffin
It doesn’t have to be fine
She’s ahead of the line
And doesn’t have to be here too often
She’s making a play
She’s taking a sick day . . . soon

from "Sick Day" by Fountains of Wayne


Lately I have been feeling the need to take a mental health day. My mom used to let us take the occasional mental health day from school, as long as we made up the work.  Well, I shouldn't say "us" because I'm not sure she ever extended the offer to my middle sister.  My middle sister was sometimes home from school anyway . . . because she was suspended (sorry, sis! I love you!).

My mood exactly
I think I'm just vaguely bored. It's not that I don't like my job (the only vocation I would've liked better would have been to work as a professional puppy petter and no one seems to be hiring for that, so I had to go with a grown-up job). And it's not that I don't have plenty to do in my life - every day is pretty much packed to the hilt. As much as I like routine and schedules, maybe I'm just over it - at least at the moment.  I'm tired of folding laundry and scrubbing the bathtub and the whole shebang.

I could take a day off, but what would I do? We have a foot of snow on the ground right now, so I may wait until it's a bit warmer. Summer can't come soon enough for me.  If I have to wash a certain someone's pink snow pants one more time because that someone rolls in mud every single day at recess, I might just lose my mind. I'm looking forward to digging out my Craigslist bike and hitting the trail.  I tried to find a bike for P but I guess the bike guy is no longer in business.

We did get a new bike for the kid, though. Toys R Us is running a deal where you get $20 off a new bike if you trade in an old one.  I had been planning to sell A's old one on Craigslist, but I'm pretty sure $20 is all I would've gotten anyway.  So, this seemed like a pretty good deal.  The kid emptied her piggy banks and  had $36, so between the money she had and the $20 off, we only had to spot her a few bucks.  Would you like to see her new bike?  Oh, here it is:

Anyone want to place a bet as far as how long it will take her father to assemble it?