"You don't know everything."

Today I was driving Kerri home from school and we were having a conversation. Kerri told me there were things about her that I did not know. I told her I pretty much knew everything there was to know about her. She disagreed and told me: "You don't know everything about me."

So I told her to tell me something that I did not know about her. And she told me she had a crush on a boy in her class. Surprised, I asked her what happened to her boyfriend - the neighbor boy she was madly in love with all summer. She told me that she stopped thinking of him that way when she started going to school with him. And then she said: "I realized he would not make a good Daddy because he plays rough and misbehaves. He could crack our baby in half."

I asked her to clarify what she meant, and she said she has watched him at school. And that he would play with their baby and wrestle with it and break the baby's back. I told her I did not think he would do that, but Kerri has moved on. I should have seen it coming when she kept talking about the new crush all week.

I have met the boy, and can see why Kerri likes him so much. But I am still not ready for this. And where did she learn the word "crush" from? Kerri is only six and a half years old. Sheesh.

Life with Kerri keeps surprising me.