Art Squared

Katie and I attended the opening reception for Art Squared at the Columbia Art Gallery.




This show was open to all previously juried artists for the gallery and there were quite a lot of submissions for the challenge to make square art.
There were numerous paintings in the show that were new work painted on square canvases.





I was especially interested in seeing what artists did with the square theme.
I should have taken a close-up photo of this piece since the painting was covered with circle shapes that looked like bubbles. The squares were made with circles.


It was good to see some other media besides paintings including some clay...


....as well as some glass and even square jewelry pieces.




I liked these paintings that were colorfully framed.



This was an original idea with a painting mounted on a large tile of clay that had been fired with a raku method for beautiful texture and color. I especially like it because the subject is a mug that was made by a potter friend of mine.




I also really like these submissions by a painter that I traded with last year. Remember my difficulty in choosing which paintings to take home?


But the works I enjoyed seeing most were the ones where the artist challenged themselves with the square theme. This basket is only big enough to hold a thimble.



My painting was hung in the foyer of the gallery with a creative sculpture called Square Roots and I thought they made a great pair.