Something old, something new.

After Kerri was bullied throughout her Senior Kindergarten school year, we made the decision to enroll her in a Martial Art in order for her to learn self defense. However, we were not sure which one to enroll her in. There was Karate, which we pondered for awhile - her godsister Erin has been taking Karate for some time now. And then there was Taekwondo, which I have some knowledge of, and neighborhood ex-boyfriend was going to enroll in. So many choices.

And then I spoke to Tia, who is a student of Tai Chi, and she asked why was I not considering Kung Fu - which is from China, after all. And it has been around for thousands of years. Tia even found a really good school close by, and shared the website with me. And the more I looked and read, the more intrigued I was. Tia recommended I call the Master and speak with him personally, and take it from there. And I am glad I did.

So it looks like Kerri will become a student of Shaolin Kung Fu, also known as the southern Chinese "tiger style". The school has a very long history. In addition to learning a martial art, Kerri will also be learning more about her Chinese history and culture, and Buddhism. The school celebrates Chinese holidays, and they make trips to China every few years for their students. I really like the school's philosophy of training not only the body, but the mind and spirit as well. If you are interested, you can learn more about it here.

Kerri is excited to meet her new Sifu and Master. And so are we.

Life with Kerri is an opportunity to learn the ancient Chinese ways, and apply them to our modern lifestyle.