Tried and True Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have made millions and billions of cookies. Or trillions.

At least it feels that way.

When I was a teenager it was my job to keep the cookie jar full of homemade cookies. Throughout the years that our oldest kids were growing up I baked cookies several times a week until I passed the torch onto my daughters.

The all-around favorite cookie has ever and always been the chocolate chip cookie. Dipped in a glass of milk and slurped leaving drips on your chin. The only way to eat a chocolate chip cookie. Or six.

For the last sixteen months I have been baking cookies for the complimentary coffee and cookie bar at Expertec, where Mr. Dirtywrench keeps the cars and trucks in our town purring. Four nights a week the aroma of butter and sugar wafts through the house. The family has finally gotten used to it and I manage to fill the cookie jar without half of them first disappearing to the four corners of the house. And still, the favorite cookie with Expertec customers is the chocolate chip cookie.

Isn't it everyone's favorite cookie? There are countless recipes and variations of recipes for the chocolate chip cookie. Do we really need another one? Probably not- but let me just put my own tried and true, tested, tweaked and tasted recipe out there for consideration. This recipe makes a cookie that is buttery, chewy, crispy and chocolatey. Simple and straightforward but so delicious it is the one cookie I just have to indulge in when I am baking. As I preach with every recipe, good quality ingredients make a difference in the final product. These chocolate chip cookies taste best when good quality butter and chocolate chips are used.



Tried and True Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies)

Cream together:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 cups best quality butter, softened

Beat in 2 whole eggs

Add:
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 cups of all purpose flour

Stir in 2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes. Let cool on the pan for five minutes then remove to a rack to cool. Nevermind! Eat them while they're still warm and gooey.

P.S. For variety try adding one cup of shredded coconut and one cup of chopped pecans to the dough with the chocolate chips.