Campaign for Safe Cosmetics' New Report: "Toxic Tub"

My journey to become more "green" has been a slow and deliberate one. I have been doing significant research on the topic of living a healthy, organic, natural, sustainable lifestyle. While I still have a long way to go to reach my end goal, I make new strides in various areas of my life each week and month. I set small mini-goals for myself to try new organic foods, cleaning products, or personal care products each month. Currently I am researching starting a garden in order to grow our own pesticide-free vegetables this summer!

Back when my interest in this way of life began, the first area of our lives to go completely "green" was with the hygiene products that we use for our children. After reading the following report, you'll see why I am so thrilled that I did!

-------------------------------------------

Traditionally, bath products and cosmetics don't list ingredients on the label, so even the most ingredient-conscious parents wouldn't know whether the product is safe or healthy. Many bath products for your baby are labeled as "gentle"," "pure" or "naturally refreshing", which can be even more confusing, since these words are unregulated and don't hold significant meaning.

Right now, children across America may be unfortunately sitting in bubbles tainted with harmful chemicals. Recently, an independent lab tested 48 kids' products for 1,4-dioxane and found it in 67 percent of the products. Of the 28 products tested for formaldehyde, 82 percent were positive. Seventeen products were contaminated with both 1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde, both linked to significant health effects.

To find out the specifics, you should check out the new Campaign for Safe Cosmetics report, "Toxic Tub", for all the details, but in the meantime, I encourage you to Take Action and Voice Your Opinion.

Ask your legislators to clean up kids products.
Ask your friends to request their legislators give the FDA the authority it needs to ensure that all cosmetics, from baby shampoo to lipstick to body lotion, are truly safe.

We owe it to our families to demand that the hygiene products that we all use are safe!