Would you ask your child to give his/her life for you?! Take a bullet for you? How do you sell something like this to your child? "Honey, I was thinking, you know your dad and I didn't give much thought to your college education while we were getting high so we were thinking maybe you could sign up for the military". "You know see the world and as a bonus get an education". "Free". That is providing he/she doesn't come home in a body bag. Who in their right mind would encourage their child to sign up for a death wish?! Who I ask? Would he?! Of course not. He's planning a wedding. But he wants the young to believe they are fighting for the cause. Do they even know what they're signing up for? Or what they're fighting for? I'm sure they glam it up, but no, it's his personal cause. After all he was an oil man way before he was (sic) our Commander in Chief. I use that term loosely. Of course it's in his best interest to protect his stake. Don't get me wrong. I believe we need a military, just not for this war. I'm sick and tired of his bull shit. I am sick of this fucking stupid war and frankly I am pissed about the ever increasing gas prices. This is not just about the truck drivers. This effects all of us. When will it stop? Sixty dollars to fill my gas tank this evening and it's a sedan not some gas guzzling SUV or mini van. We are looking at trading my big black sedan for a Hybrid. What are you doing? How much money do the oil company's need to make to be profitable? Nine. Billion. Dollars?! Do their CEO's need to earn one million dollar salaries plus stock options with golden parachute clauses when we have people living far below the poverty line or wondering how their going to pay their rent. I know for some of you none of this matters. But it does matter. What will it take? I know from experience we can expect to see air fare increasing and only affordable to the super mega rich. Not the upper middle class. I'm talking the super uber duber rich. Food prices sky rocketing to the point where families are forced to scale back to the bare bones. The elderly who are living on a fixed incomes being forced to decide whether to purchase food or medication. Asking themselves "do I starve to death or run the risk of having a heart attack"? What about the young and those who aren't earning a six figure income? Huh? This is a situation that has gone terribly wrong. And the stimulus relief? What a laugh. People will not be putting that money back in to the economy. Hell no. As the news reporters are reporting nightly they're using that money to pay their bills! Congress needs to take action. What are they waiting for? A paralyzed nation?! I'm fed up. Are you?
Flash: Just so as I don't come off as a total hypocrite, yes we do drive an SUV. We bought it before we brought the girls home. it was for the girls. Had to be something this mommy would be seen in. You all know how I hate (really hate) mini vans of any kind. I don't get them at all. But we bought the SUV (we've always had an SUV) to haul the chicks in. Although I love it and it's is not one of those mother jumpers that you can't see around on the highway, I think her time with us is short lived too. We will probably be trading her in for something more "green" friendly and "gas" friendly. AND, no, I will not be buying a mini van! EV-AH.
Word Verification. You know, it's always really annoyed me when I have to do this on other people's blogs when I comment. But now I have added that feature to mine, because I get these crazy, somewhat naughty comments from a girl named, "Cor". I delete them as soon as I see them, but it's still creepy.
Blurb. We got a new computer last week and I was finally able to make a book out of my blog. With our old computer I tried and tried, but I just couldn't get it to work. My pictures wouldn't come up, the system would shut down, it was slower than molasses, etc. We got our new computer and voila, I made the book in a couple of days. I am way excited.
We went swimming, out to dinner, on a picnic, played at the park and watched movies. It was fun to have them and Tanner was about in tears 20 minutes after they left. They had barely left our house when he wanted to call them. After he got off the phone he said, "I not be sad anymore. I be happy." Sorry Amy, you now have some competition.
While I'm busy writing my memoirs, heres one to ponder.....
My youngest sister, Danielle, is coming to visit tomorrow with her husband. We are soooo excited for them to come and visit. We are going to make their visit as dreamlike as possible, in hopes that they will move out here when they graduate. They will probably think we are just being nice, but really I have major ulterior motives. I would LOVE to have family live nearby.
Here are some random pictures of the kids from these last couple of weeks:
Tanner always gets a sucker if he lets me clip his fingernails. Kate has finally caught on and now she demands one too.
I really wanted to take some pictures of Kate in this, but she did NOT want to be wearing that huge tutu. She was so mad at me. I shot three pictures, all of which looked like this, and gave up.
Tanner ed this hat off of shelf and Target and wore it all through the store that day. We ended up buying it and he absolutely loves it. We bought Kate a red one, but she doesn't like wearing hers.
I don't remember what happened here, but if I had to guess, Tanner probably took away a toy.
Tanner gives an all new meaning to "licking the bowl".
He just can't quite get enough, so he has to shove his whole head in the bowl.
A man and woman had been married for more than 60 years. They had Shared everything. They had talked about everything. They had kept no Secrets from each other except that the little old woman had a shoe Box in the top of her closet that she had cautioned her husband never to open or ask her about.
The girls were dining tonight on "awfuls" (translation waffles-their request too!) loving every bite smacking and licking their littles lips as if it were their last meal when I said:
Me: "Girls, we're gonna take a bath tonight, you're filthy"!
Katie: Nodding her head in agreement and says "Yeah, and wash my hair".
Me: "That's right baby girl".
Abbey: Smiling (and never one to disappoint) "And wash my dirty butt"!
Me: All I could do to not crack up. "That's right Abbey, momma's gonna wash your dirty butt".
Gotta love my little "mommy me's"! `
My little "hurricanes" keep me on my toes. They love their video's and I think Cars has now bumped Cinderella to second place. Whew, there is a g-d! lol. We were watching Cars the other night for the uptenth time that evening when Abbey said "Mommy, mommy, that's mommy". I looked up and she was pointing at the telly and shouting "mommy". That's right. She thinks I'm Sally (the porsche) from Cars!!! What's funnier that's the car I drove before my two little hurricanes! lol.. They know! Of course they also think their daddy is Dr. Phil!!! Umm, not only is he BALD but he's also almost a foot taller than my baby...... my girls are so confused.....
How did you meet your spouse? In the old BYU library, 3rd floor, in the main area, 2 weeks into my freshman year. Shad sat down next to me and somehow walked away with my number.
Where did you go on your first date? Park City, some snowboarding show and then hot chocolate. Toward the end of the evening, we ran across the street on the ice, he grabbed my hand and he says to this day that he felt tingles when he touched my hand.
How long have you been together? Next week week we will have been married 8 years.
Who eats more? Real food, Shad. Treats, me.
Who said I love you first? Shad. About 2 hours later, I said it back.
Who is taller? Shad
Who sings better? Definitely me. However I'm not that great, so I'm not sure what that says about Shad.. .. sorry hon.
Who is smarter? We may have been even at one point, but I swear to you that bearing children depletes brain cells, so I'd have to say Shad is smarter.
Who does the laundry? Usually....no one. Then about every 3 weeks, I do all of it. What a horrible habit.
Who does the dishes? Before kids, Shad did them every night. What a man!!! Now that we have kids, he plays with them while I do the dishes.
Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Shad
Who pays the bills? Shad. He waits until the very last minute to pay the bills, so he can make interest on our money as long as possible. He doesn't trust that I will wait long enough to pay the bills, while still getting them in on time. The way he pays bills is truly an art form.
Who mows the lawn? We finally just hired someone and it just eats at Shad that it's no longer immaculate. When Shad did it, he spend HOURS on Saturdays edging, weeding, planting new plants, testing the sprinklers, etc. Now it doesn't look as nice, BUT he spends more time with us.
Who cooks dinner? me
Who drives when you are together? Shad. He thinks he is such a better driver than me. However, he treats stop lights as stop signs, and stop signs as yield signs. I am not exaggerating one bit and he still thinks he's a better driver than me. But just to let you know, he got pulled over last night for completely blowing through a stop sign. The lucky son of gun got pulled over by our neighbor though, so he didn't get a ticket.
Who is more stubborn? Neither. He's not at all. I try but don't last more than 10 minutes and then he makes me laugh.
Who is the first to admit when they’re wrong? How is this even a question? Do men ever think they are wrong?
Who kissed who first? Shad tried and tried. Finally after 1 year and 2 months, he succeeded.
Who proposed? Shad
Who is more sensitive? Both.
Who has more friends? Probably Shad. Everyone loves Shad. He's very easy to get along with and nice to everyone, except maybe Mark and Ross.
Who has more siblings? Me.
Who wears the pants? I wish this were even, but probably me. Not in a bossy way, but more of a gentle persuasion. = )
I tag: All of the women in my family: Mom, Bec, Lindsay, Meg, Amy, Danielle and Grandma
Note: I haven't seen "him" in years.....(like almost 30!) and have know idea what ever became of him.....When I broke up with him I moved on in my heart...I imagine he is still a looker. He was such a nice guy.
work area before you have completed
2. Tanner's been hanging out with his new little friend, Jaden. They play really well together. They get into mischief, but are so cute that it's hard to get upset with them.
3. Shad and I have decided that from now on, we have to buy Tanner and Kate the exact same things for presents. They always want what the other kid has. I swear we need two of everything. (obviously we are trying to teach them to share, but Kate's a little young to grasp that concept)
4. Kate throws fits now. What a bummer.
5. Once in a while, Kate will crawl in this cupboard and read books. It is so cute.
6. Tanner sleeps through the night all by himself. This really deserves a post of it's own. If you don't know the story, I will give a quick run-down. 1 1/2 years ago, Tanner stopped sleeping through the night. It would take him literally 2 hours to fall asleep even though he would be tired. We had to lay with him to get him to fall asleep and he would wake up anywhere from 5-25 times a night and couldn't go back to sleep. He would toss and turn, trying really hard to fall asleep and it just wouldn't work. At one point we let him cry it out for 2 full weeks without going in and he literally cried all night long without falling asleep (I am not exaggerating). About once a night he would dose off standing up, and then fall over immediately and wake up screaming again. We had a videocam and watched the whole thing. It was horrible. After 2 weeks, we felt sick about it and realized something just wasn't right. I read articles, books, talked to numerous doctors, tried homeopathics, a psychiatrist, prayed about it, fasted about it, gave priesthood blessings, etc. Eventually we got sick of going back and forth all night long from his room to ours, so one of us would sleep with him. So, long story short, it's been 1 1/2 years of Shad or I sleeping with Tanner in his bed all night long, or Tanner sleeping in our bed. It's been literally 24 hours a day of Tanner. We are with him every waking moment and it's exhausting. It's not meant to be like that. Shad and I missed each other all the time and never had a moment without Tanner right there with us. I know people judged us, told us that we just needed to let him cry it out, show him who's boss, be more stubborn than him, that it wasn't right Shad and I weren't in the same bed at night, etc. People just assumed that we must have let him sleep with us as a baby, put him down with a bottle, nursed him to sleep, rocked him to sleep, etc. No to all of those. We followed every stupid rule you're supposed to follow to get your child to sleep by themselves, and it didn't work for us. Finally about a month ago, we both felt like he was there developmentally to understand if we talked to him about sleeping by himself again. There were a lot of tears and bribery involved, but it worked and now Tanner sleeps all by himself in his room and does not get up in the middle of the night. It's been 7 days so far, and we're hoping it will continue. We are so proud of him. It's been like a vacation for Shad and I. We get 2 hours all by ourselves at night without children. It's wonderful and Shad and I became closer and kinder to one another overnight. Just being able to have a conversation without interruptions can do wonders for a marriage. = )
One thing I have learned is not to judge other people. Every family is different, every kid is different. One thing doesn't work for every child and I really believe in a parent's own instinct. Thank you for all of your prayers.
7. I got a new camera lens and I love it. It's a f/1.4 prime lens . Basically it allows you to take pictures in low light without a flash. It captures all the light available, but at a really fast speed, so the pictures turn out more natural looking. It also does the whole focus subject with fuzzy background thing. If you look at the above examples, those are inside my house with my old lens. They were either taken with the flash, or completely lightened up in a photo editing program. The ones below are with my new lens, and completely unedited. Can you see all of the amazing natural light it captures?!!! The pictures are of Tanner, Sia, and Sia's little sister, Mila (Lillie's little s).
8. Tanner is a greedy little thing. This morning I was changing his poopy diaper for the second time before 7:40am, and I said to him, "You know, if you want you could go on the toilet and then I wouldn't have to change you and you would get a sucker." He was quiet for a moment and said, "and cookies." Silence for another moment, and then he said, "and money." Silence for another moment and then he said, "and candy." I stopped him at that point before he got too carried away. The little stinker.
I know I haven't posted in a while. I just haven't had time. I will catch up another day. Love and miss you all.
S.T. receives a package in the mail the other day. A small package. Really small package. What do you suppose was inside? Vitamins. But not just any vitamins. Now he takes vitamins. I don't. These were special vitamins. Cobra. Sexual. Energy. Vitamins. Hmmm, I don't know if he ordered these for him, or for me! My idea of sex these days is rubbing hineys as we crawl in and mumbling "goo-night".... poor s.t. We're gonna pop the seal on those babies tonight and see what happens! He said if he were to have a heart attack do not tell the paramedics he took Cobra. I would never......bwhahahaha.
I was minutes away from my hair salon babbling on the phone with my sister. The car is the only quiet place I have these days. No interruptions. Anyway my eyes quickly scans to my rear view mirror and there behind me larger than life is one of Virginia's finest . I was cool. I hadn't done anything. As the light changes I proceed with caution to turn left. Now I'm aware he's behind me, so I'm not going to do anything stupid. I even use my turn signal. Before I could even accelerate blue lights are flashing. I throw down my fone and start freaking out. I know I was NOT speeding dammit! I watch as Officer Pete (I think that's what he said his name was) saunters up to my car. WITH HIS HAND ON HIS HOLSTER. I immediately start panicking. I'm eyeing the sky expecting the police helicopter to swoop down upon me. Did he have time to access my record?! Shit. I just know he can hear my heart pounding as he steps closer to the car. I smile at weakly at him my eye starts twitching. Oh, great. Thank g-d I was wearing my sun glasses! He says "ma'am, (oh that's nice, make me feel really old!) the reason I pulled you over is because your tags are expired". Without missing a beat I respond (in my best Valley Girl voice) "no way, my husband takes care of the tags" as I'm reaching for phone to call s.t.. He looks at me stoically as if I was lying and says "the DMV has no record of you re-newing. As me and officer Doo-right are searching through ALL of my registrations we find 2006, 2007 and 2008 but no 2009! I would think he would have surmised that there clearly was a pattern here..... But still I was waiting for the cameras from "COPS" to show up as I was being carted me off to jail. BUT, he didn't cart me off, instead he gave me a ticket and asked me to sign a statement admitting my guilt. "Wtf"? I didn't do anything wrong. I clearly could see how this was going down. We were going to have a pissing match and I was going to admit my guilt in exchange for 10-20 without parole. I would be doing hard time with the likes of serial killers. I contemplated not signing but wondered how long he would hold me up. I was now late for my beauty treatment and my blood pressure was up. I guess 9:15a.m. would be to early for drink. *sigh*
Funny how since my girls arrival my life no longer revolves around me. I know my uptown girls would be aghast at what I use to shampoo and conditioning my golden mane with, but hell I don't really care. I love it and it's cheap. Cheap, cheap, cheap I tell you. Anyway, I was in dire need of a little "touch-up". I've kept my dirty blond a pretty pale blond for more years than I can remember. But I was a bit miffed when I received the bill for my "partial" highlights and the bill was nearly what I pay for the deluxe! Needless to say I disputed the charges and I told them in a nice way that I never expected to pay that much for a 1/2 treatment! She quickly checked with my hair dresser who reduced the price by $40.00 stat. something about not wanting to loose me as a customer. Ummm- I smell a funny. It's a good thing, cuz she wasn't going to get a tip if she didn't! I know she is use to her trust fund ladies (who live on 20k a month+fh=bottomless pit) who never question what she charges them. But that's not me! Made me sad that she would try to take advantage of me. I've been a loyal customer for a long time.
S.T. let our cleaning lady go after over a year with her. I don't know why but it upset me more than I think it did her. Of course we didn't tell her it was because she sucked as a cleaning lady. He made up some shit about us traveling for the next couple of months. Like we do that. lol....I asked him if he was sure she understood that we wouldn't be needing her any longer. He assured me that she did. I said, "do you think she was relieved when you told her"? He looked at me and said "yeah, I do"! We both laughed our asses off. Our new housekeeper started the very next week. She charged us double to clean the house the first time because it was so filthy (I should be embarrassed. right?) and she and her partner were here over 5 hours. That was a tough one to swallow. But this past week s.t. said she was only here just barely 4 hours. Progress. The house now smells and looks clean again.